Lodge or camp chef

Re: Lodge or camp chef

Postby SClawson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:05 am

Both are great but most of the time I prefer Lodge for the classic style ovens, but I love the Camp Chef deluxe ovens with the legs on top of the lid, so it can be used as a skillet. I sometimes make pizza or dessert in an inverted 10 inch deluxe lid cooked inside a 14 inch classic oven, works out great. I think the Camp Chef 14-inch deluxe oven is my favorite oven of all time, especially for meats and soups (a little too deep for baking). Also Camp Chef has some great Dutch oven tables, propane stoves, and smokers.
SClawson

Postby greenturtle36 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Camp Chef is OK and will serve its purpose. Lodge costs a little more and you do get what you pay for; Lodge is better quality. But, Camp Chef is OK.
greenturtle36

Postby Albin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 pm

blackirondude wrote:Lodge

I for one am sick and tired of seeing "Made in China" on nearly everything.

+1. I wouldn't use Chinese made cast iron cookware if you gave it to me. In fact, someone did several years ago - worst fitting pieces of crap cookware on the planet.

I ended giving it all away to the local thrift store for nothing. Kept some of the accessories (like the dutch oven bag and trivet) - other than that, it all went.

The best place to buy Lodge cast iron is at one of there outlet stores. I usually go to their South Pittsburgh store, since that's the nearest. I know there's one north of Atlanta, not sure if there are others. There, you can buy good quality "2nds" for a very good price. Very well worth it if you have on near you or are going by one.

Good luck.

Al
Albin

Postby pony rider » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:28 pm

They both make a good oven,I have bothin my trailer, as a matter of fact I have lodge lids on C-C and C-C lids on lodge can not matter, given chance to pick would more than likely go C-C don't need to waste a pay check on a oven no matter what size. As far as been mad somewhere else oh well every thing else is, hate to say this but get use to it, you're not going to change it, just my 2 cents.

P.S. not trying to start a civil war again
PONY RIDER

HOPE TO SEE YA ON THE TRAIL
pony rider

Postby greenturtle36 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:29 am

It's more than just a "made in china" thing, Lodge is simply better quality. When I first started out, I bought other brands because they were cheaper but ended up replacing them with Lodge because I wasn't happy with them, so ended up spending more money in the long run.

Here's what I post on my blog, (http://ramblingsoncastiron.blogspot.com) as far as brands go:

Griswold and Wagner are best, but are no longer made and expensive.

Lodge is best on the market today. Old Mountain is a step down from Lodge, but is still pretty good. Camp Chef/Sante Cabin/Cabela's are a step down from Old Mountain, but will serve their purpose, and is minimum quality I would buy.

I don't know Maca brand so I can't judge its quality. And other brands like Le Creuset who only sell enameled cast iron, I don't have any enameled so can't judge its quality.

Everything else, stay away from. (Bayou Classic, Heuck, Norpro, Universal Housewares, etc)

So, camp chef is not a brand to avoid if price is your only factor. It will work. Lodge you'll probably be happier with in the long run.
greenturtle36

Postby Ranes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm

greenturtle36 wrote:Everything else, stay away from.

I own four of five different brands of all different sizes and they all work about the same for me. My favorite is my flat bottom Wenzel. I just end up using it by habit, not because I think it is any better than any other pot. I use my 12" deep Texsport for chili, jambalaya, and other big pots of soup type stuff. My Camp Chef and Lodge ovens all work equally as well for me. I don't think any of my ovens are superior to any of my other ovens. They all work great for me.
Ranes

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

For me it's all about budget and the enjoyment of cooking outside. Brands mean nothing as I can cook just as well in any of them.

Seasoning is most likely more important than brand.

Derek
Ye shall know them by the quality of their camp oven seasoning ............

Derek

Postby greenturtle36 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm

to each his own, but I've bought other brands of cast iron because they were cheaper, and ended up paying more in the long run because I replaced them with Lodge.

My Norpro rusted within a couple of months (and I'm always very meticulous about keeping my cast iron dry), and my Bayou Classic was pitted in some places and after a while the food tasted funny.

In any case, I'll always swear by Lodge. Camp Chef is OK and will work though.
greenturtle36

Postby ncdodave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 pm

I completely agree with Ranes and Derek!
Dave H.
Medford,OR
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castironitis/,
http://castironitis.webs.com/
Chapter Director, Rogue Dutch oven Cooker's Chapter
ncdodave

Postby Jerry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 am

I won't compare quality of either brand. I have a IDOS 5" made by Camp Chef and the quality seems fine.
The history of CDOs is a main factor in what draws me to them besides all of the other advantages of using them as cooking vessels.
For reasons I can't explain the thought of setting around an open fire in some remote wilderness with supper cooking in a "made in China" oven does not appeal to me.

My DO pile is meager. Except for the IDOS 5" all are Lodge.
Jerry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions